Monday, April 6, 2015

Is this mom’s bikini pic bold?


The woman pictured above is a 32-year-old mother of 3 (I was about to be snarky and say she started early but I did too). If Rachel passed me on the beach I would probably notice that her top is orange (my favorite) but not much more. If forced to comment,  I’d say she looks pretty good, thin etc.
People magazine featured this photo (plucked from Hollis’ insta account) because it went viral.
To give you the full picture @msrachelhollis said, “I have stretch marks and I wear a bikini. I have a belly that’s permanently flabby from carrying three giant babies and I wear a bikini. My belly button is saggy (which is something I didn’t even know was possible before!!) and I wear a bikini. I wear a bikini because I’m proud of this body and every mark on it. Those marks prove I was blessed enough to carry my babies and that flabby tummy means I worked hard”
While I applaud Hollis for sporting a bikini with pride, I am missing where wearing a two-piece if you’re not Heidi Klum is groundbreaking? I also think we should be at peace with our bodies even if we didn’t carry “three giant babies”.  We can have flab for many reasons; it’s not better if childbearing explains it. It seems other women are posting similar “real” bikini pics and that’s great, it's nice to see real, unretouched bodies. It’s really great and not something, if I’m honest, I think I’d do (sans sarong or inner suckage, angling etc.). So @msrachelhollis is bolder than I am even if I think her looking cute makes her beach pic less bold than the 460,000 Facebook likers think it is.
 Thoughts? Are stretch marks bold? Are we so used to perfect swimsuit pics that this is cutting edge? 
Are you a bikini wearer? Would this change anything for you?

1 comment:

  1. Um, I think she looks pretty good! Not sure how this is "bold"!

    ReplyDelete