Monday, June 24, 2013

When the kids are away the parents will play



Friday, my boys left for 7 weeks. This is their 3rd year and while I wasn’t especially emotional, my babysitter was a mess. So as soon as the bus pulled away, I had to make sure she was OK. There we were on the steps of the Museum of Natural History, I told her we’d have fun cooking and organizing, I told her she’d have more time for herself but 10 and a half years with these boys, she really loves them.

I love them too, of course, but I’d be lying if there weren’t some things I want to complete in the next 7 weeks. While I look forward to the little things reading the paper, reading more in general and walking home from work unrushed, I also have a “Summer List”, would you expect anything less of me?
Some of it is indulgent, I want to get back to acupuncture, run more and try a few new workouts (Jumplife anyone?). I also use the time with boys away to stay on top of doctors/dental visits. Then there’s the fun, some travel, some recipe testing and plans with friends (many who are child free as well).  We’ll send out our Foodtrainers Fourth of July Party Monthly Morsels Newsletter tomorrow but here’s a sneak peak. Chef Jenna Helwig of Rosaberry (@JennaRosaberry on Twitter) developed this beet dip recipe for us. It will vary in color depending on the number of beets added. You can serve it with cruditĂ© (snap peas, blanched asparagus and cucumbers work nicely) or Mary’s Gone crackers would work well too.


Beet Yogurt Dip
This dip keeps well in the fridge overnight, although the garlic flavor does get more pronounced, a treat for those of us that love garlic.

½ cup walnuts
1 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
2-3 small to medium-sized cooked beets, roughly chopped (you can use love beets or any pre-cooked beets in the produce aisle, I used 1 pack original Love Beets)
½ teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 small clove garlic, roughly chopped (optional)
2 teaspoons dill
freshly ground pepper to taste

  1. Place the walnuts in a food processor (or coffee grinder) and pulse to chop finely.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients to food processor (or add all ingredients to vitamix with stick attachment)  and blend until smooth. Taste for seasoning adding more salt and/or pepper if necessary.
What are your summer plans, any books you plan on reading, trips you'll be going on? Or maybe there are recipes or workouts you want to try? 
Pizza to the People, mobile pizza unit: hemp seeds?

A few weekend photos, Saturday we checked out the Wanderlust Festival in VT:

I didn't do the yoga but clearly lots of other people did. 
Top of Stratton Mt, we didn't hike up but rode up to enjoy the view. 
Sat night one of our favorite VT restaurants
with skip at the guitar

Stopped at Swoon in Hudson NY oysters and kale salad,  great find and a really pretty town.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait for sleepaway camp to begin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My younger one went at 6...

    ReplyDelete
  3. what do you mean, I sounded like I was too happy for 7 weeks? oops

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the beet dip and thanks so much for sharing my oatmeal berry crisp on your fab Fourth of July menu-love the marinade too! I can't imagine what I would accomplish with 7 weeks of no kids, but right now (even with kids), I am just enjoying slowing down, trying not to work so much, and goofing off a little :-). Other plans include trip to Hawaii next week...rock climbing (real rocks, not an indoor gym!) with a girl friend...reading too (just finishing up Wild by Cheryl Strayed-very good!)...and hopefully some bike riding, hiking, and camping. Enjoy your 7 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete