Monday, April 21, 2014

Something Better than Therapy

I grew up in a nature loving family.  There were walks in nature preserves, gardens (both a regular garden and a shade garden), flowers and photographs of flowers. As amazing as this sounds, it didn’t click with me. I don’t think I’m a naturally visual person. As a child if I went on the walk, my thoughts would wander and I’d be less likely to notice anything around me. And when it came to the garden or plants, while I don’t remember much I do recall the stress of having to take care of them when my parents were not there. It didn’t come naturally.

A lot of this has changed. I still find it easy to get so “in my head” on a run that I tune everything out; however,  I am appreciative of the trees and the flowers even if I don’t really know one from the other with the exception of the obvious ones.

I adapted a post for Fitbit’s blog. While it’s no surprise that time spent outdoors is nice. It’s remarkable what it can do for both our mental and physical health. I also recently discovered the work of Louie Schwartzberg. Do you know of him? He’s a photographer and I guess you can say filmmaker. In a discussion on getting people to care about climate change and the Earth he said something that caught my attention. He said people don’t respond to lists of things they should do. “We protect what we love.”

Here is a glimpse of what Schwartzberg does, I watch this video almost daily and encourage you to check it out.  With Earth Day tomorrow, spend time outside today. See what it does to the trajectory of your day and then tomorrow we’ll be back with some actionable steps but I need you to fall in love first.
How much time do you spend outside each day? Would you consider yourself a nature lover? Were you always? What do you think is the best way to get people to care about the planet?





2 comments:

  1. I am always amazed by the effect that being outdoors has on my mood. Every time I go for a run or walk outside where there are trees or water, I feel so much better than post treadmill. The NY botanical garden is one of my favorite places to go, I can probably spend a full day there just admiring how beautiful nature is. I've always loved nature but I don't think I realized how much it had an impact on me until I started traveling outside of NYC. I remember seeing the beautiful colors of the leaves in New England in the fall on the freeway and wished I could bring it back home to NYC.
    I think we should all care about the planet. It is our home and I think we all share the responsibility to protect it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spend as much time as possible outdoors, and I make a conscious effort to notice the beauty around me. It makes such a difference in my life. I watched the first few minutes of the video and will have to come back to watch the rest later. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete