Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pot of the Week


A couple of weeks ago I was doing I daily blog hopping when a post on Erica Sara’s site caught my attention. I tweeted Erica (as embarrassing as it is we met on Twitter) and asked her if she’d post here and tell my hungry readers about her genius Pot of the Week. I’m thrilled Erica chose split peas for her recipe, they are the perfect cold weather food. I contemplated how split peas split on a 1 degree day in Vermont last winter.

When Lauren asked me to write a guest post for the Foodtrainers blog, I was so honored & excited. I've been reading this blog for quite some time and have always found it to be an incredible source of information and inspiration. I hope that my "Pot of the Week" does just the same for all of you.

So, what is a pot of the week? During the cold NYC months, usually on a Sunday afternoon, I prepare a large pot of soup or stew to have on hand for at least one meal a day for the upcoming week. It needs to be quick and easy to make, full of flavor, and loaded with nutrients to get me through my busy days. When I have something hearty & healthy on call at all times, it takes the guess work out of lunch or dinner and saves me tons of money on eating out. Some of my favorites have been Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili  
and a Pumpkin Chickpea stew. Delicious!

This week's pot is a vegetarian play on the traditional Split Pea Soup. I added cannellini beans and roasted corn to kick up the flavors and for protein so that this can be served as a meal. Tonight, I'll eat this soup served with some home baked crusty french bread and a small side salad. Tomorrow, I'll probably pour it over brown rice for a different type of meal. And on Tuesday, I might eat it next to a veggie burger or piece of steamed fish with a side of veggies. The ideas are endless; just what I love about soup!

Split Pea Soup with Cannellini Beans & Corn
serves 4-6

1 tbsp Olive Oil
2 large Onions, chopped
2 Celery Stalks, chopped
1 large Carrot, chopped
1 tbsp fresh Thyme
2 cups Green Split Peas, picked through & rinsed
6 cups of low-sodium Vegetable Stock
1 can Cannellini beans, rinsed
1 cup Frozen Corn (I used the Roasted Corn from Trader Joe's. It's delicious but regular frozen corn is fabulous as well!)
Salt & Pepper to season
Smoked Paprika (optional)

In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions, celery and carrots and cook until they start to soften, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add the thyme, split peas and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until all the vegetables are soft and the split peas are cooked through, approximately 40-50 minutes. During this time, you may need to add additional liquid so check every 15 minutes and add more vegetable stock  or water as needed. Puree the soup (be sure to allow to cool slightly if using a blender) and then add the beans and corn. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Sprinkle with a dash of smoked paprika upon serving if you like.
 See? Easy, delicious & healthy! Enjoy.
What are your favorite soups or stews to make? What are your favorite wintry foods? Have you made any friends on Twitter?


5 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely delicious! I love soups and stews this time of year. And, yes, I have made several wonderful friends on Twitter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea! Can't wait to try your recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, and not too complicated! thanks for posting...now i just need to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and recipe. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just tried this recipe, and aside from being so pleased with cooking split green peas for the first time (a bit of a rookie in the kitchen, I know), it tastes great! So looking forward to having it for lunch tomorrow on a cold blustery Tuesday! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete