Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Positive Peer Pressure


I woke up sore and tired and tweeted about it yesterday.  “Too much July 4th celebrating?” someone replied. Nope, this fatigue didn’t have to do with imbibing or late nights though there were controlled cocktails (delicious white sangria and lime/thyme vodka concoctions). 
We spent the weekend staying with friends at the beach. There were six adults in total, all of us fairly active. Carolyn had recently mentioned the importance of having active friends and I think my friends qualify. Over the course of the 3-day weekend, at various times we:
  • Participated in As 1’s inaugural workout classes at the beach (push ups in the sand anyone?)
  • Rode 60+ miles to Montauk
  • Spun at Soul Cycle’s Springsteen Class
  • Kayaked
  • Tubed
  • Played basketball
  • Swam laps
  • Ran Firecracker 8K race
  • Played Tennis


Granted, we didn’t each do all of these things. However, everyone was doing something daily, if not more.  To some people this may sound exhausting but it was really one of the best weekends. We joked that while all of us had children away at camp (yep, mentioned it again), we were enjoying our own version of camp for grown-ups. So often I hear from clients “I was away and didn’t workout” so I was trying to sort out the keys to being active when staying with friends or when you have houseguests.

Plan in Advance- my friend S., who has a great new blog called My Judy the Foodie (where she’s learning to cook from her mother’s old recipes), sent an email out before we arrived. She gave us the links to sign up for the race or the spin class. She also made it clear none of this was mandatory.

Bring your Equipment- if you’re going to play tennis or ride you need a racket and a bike. We had these things with us. You also need extra changes of clothes if you’re going to be active.  And, if you’re like me. a blow dryer and a flat iron. I cannot tell you how many women do not swim or workout because they didn’t want to mess up their hair.

It Only Takes One Adult to Watch Kids- while I can't say I was the one,  the other adults took turns watching the kids so that everyone could work out. This watching wasn’t exactly sedentary. Kids can play basketball, ride bikes and swim too.

Utilize All Hours in the Day- my husband and our friend E were up at 5am to get a ride in before “the wives” left for our beach workout beating. As we were getting ready for dinner someone would be in the pool doing laps and another person spinning. Just because a workout doesn’t happen first thing doesn’t mean it cannot happen.

It doesn’t have to be a gym workout but investigate what active options there are where you’ll be away. If you’re traveling with others, chances are someone will join you whether it's out of genuine enthusiasm or guilt it doesn't matter. They'll be happy later for the peer pressure.
Did you workout over the July 4th weekend? What are your secrets of staying active while away? Does adult camp sound fun or horrific to you?

18 comments:

  1. Wow, that was an active weekend! Sounds like a lot of fun. As particular as I am about getting some form of daily activity, I usually take a breather whenever I go out of town. This July 4th weekend I was in the city and so I stuck to my regular schedule of getting a workout done early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me until "up at 5am". Haha! No, seriously, I think that I'm more active when I'm on vacation than when I'm home. At home I get sucked into the computer, but when I'm unplugged, I move much more. I've heard stories from people who say they gained weight while travelling, but the pounds always drop off me when I'm away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Stephanie! I can't wake earlier than 6:30!! Sounds like a perfect and fun weekend. The only activity I had was yoga on fri & sat and then some lawn volleyball on monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. really great tips to stay active. i always try to bring running shoes so i can hike or run when i can't bring my bike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually was pretty active over the 4th- shocking actually! I was in Florida so it was pretty hard to stay inside. I made my bf go for a run and a run/walk with me so it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie- such a great point about unplugging. The computer is such a time-suck. Einat- lawn volleyball, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this post. Sometimes I feel like my friends AREN'T as active as I am, so I feel the need to be the positive influence! Even if no one else is working out, I go and offer for anyone else to join! I have turned my husand into a more active person as well! I'm always thinking of things we can do outside to have fun but ALSO get in some exercise! LOve this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had sangria over the 4th weekend too. Love it.
    We stay active on vacation by walking everywhere. My exercise is dealing with 3 kids. I get plenty of running and lifting in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an active group! i hope i maintain a group of friends that go on such adventurous and active vacations! i don't even think of that as peer pressure, i think of it more as FUN! i'm going away this weekend to this bizarre jetsetter deal i read about called adult summer camp - it's basically a bunch of outdoor activities, with drinking at night. i don't mind being pressured into water skiing, especially if wine awaits later in the day...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an awesome weekend. I need to hangout with you more. The friends I was with this weekend said they didn't pack sneakers because they took up too much room in their bag(even after I sent out an email that I would love company on my run). I ended up running alone, which was quite enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how active you and your friends are. For me, it just depends on the friends I'm with. When I was on my cruise, my friend and I got in a bit of running. It's nice to stay active. For me, I love trying to get in activity by trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it sounds like lots of fun. Especially soul cycle - i have been wanting to try it up here in westchester but i don't because i'm concerned i'll get hooked on $30 a pop workouts. I find that when i'm away from home it helps to schedule time to get some exercise, at the hotel gym or whatever - that way i pack the right clothes, and set aside time to do it. But I set aside specific time, like from 9-10AM or something, that seems to work better for me. Then if I get any other exercise in the course of the day, like walking around an amusement park or swimming, that's a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen, I agree. It works better if you "book it" versus being loosey goosey about exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an important post to remind all of us that long weekends, vacations, etc are not an excuse for inactivity, but rather an opportunity to get moving, be outside, and spend time together off the lounge chairs. It's so important to remember that you can be the one to put on your sneakers and bring the positive peer pressure when you feel you are getting swarmed with negative! Thanks for setting a good example Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adult camp sounds like fun. Over July 4th weekend I went to the gym, played tennis and kayaked with my son (not sure I would call our outing exercise but definitely fun!) I tend to bring gear when I travel but it doesn't always work out -- I went away last night on a business trip and my workout stuff never made it out of my bag. It is hard to commit to a set time for working out on a business trip but I would have been happier had I done so.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow impressive thats a lot of activity

    ReplyDelete
  17. Um, I need new friends. Kidding, but I am the most active out of my group and often wish others would take an interest in fitness. When we go on weekends with our besties there is a lot of unwinding the old fashioned way - with a cocktail and I am always the "crazy" one who packed her DVD and her running shoes and resistance bands and healthy snacks. I would LOVE a weekend like you just described. As for my 4th - I took 2 days off but I honestly needed them seeing as I have been upping my workout intensity. I was sore!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You definitely have me beat on the activity level of your 4th weekend, but I did have a fairly active one (treadmill at home one day, long walk with the dog another, and playing soccer at the park with husband and kids on another). I think it's great to travel with friends who are active. We have good friends/neighbors who we have done a lot of trips with going skiing and hiking together, and it's a nice mix of activity and just hanging out.

    ReplyDelete