Friday, October 28, 2011

Meeting Dr Oz and What he Eats for Breakfast

I am not easily impressed and rarely star struck. To me, people are people and famous or professionally successful are not attributes that will wow me at face value.  It’s only when meeting someone that I can really get a real sense. Is their eye contact or humor? Is someone quick to tell you who they are and what they know or are they curious about others? As I alluded to in the comments on Wednesday’s post, I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Dr Oz this week and let me tell you he is the real deal.

I’ll backtrack a little. I was invited with a group of about ten other women with blogs or representing various websites to help spread the word about Dr Oz’s Transformation Nation campaign. Transformation Nation is based on 7 steps to improve health including sleep, learning your families health history, connecting with your doctor and stress management. There's also a million dollar prize involved. The plan was  to attend a taping of a show and then have a Q/A with the doctor. Yesterday morning we all assembled in the lobby of 30 Rock before heading upstairs to the studio. We boarded the peacock-carpeted elevator to the 6th floor. Once there, a comedian warmed up the audience comprised mostly of  middle-aged women in brightly colored sweaters. 
I can’t disclose much, until the show airs, about the exact content of the show but I’ll tell you the subject matter was right up my alley. After the taping we had a chance to sit down with Dr Oz. He greeted all of us and we took some quick photos. Then it was time for the questions. Transformation Nation pairs the Dr Oz Show with Weight Watchers and as I sat through the show the Weight Watchers mentions rubbed me the wrong way. Dr Oz’s nutrition advice focuses on whole foods and health and Weight Watchers on points calculated around calories.

At the risk of insulting Dr Oz, I had to ask about the partnership. Not one to hold back, I was the first to raise my hand and said “any reservations about teaming up with Weight Watchers?” Dr Oz raised his eyebrows and for that pause before he spoke I felt my heart race convinced I had said the wrong thing. He then explained that a lot of thought went into it. He hasn’t endorsed foods or products before. When they polled their viewers about who they trusted; they trusted WW.  No part of his answer was defensive or dismissive and I was left understanding the relationship and their need for Weight Watchers fire power. Relieved, I relaxed a little and jotted down notes from the other questions.

When asked about his diet Dr Oz says he eats the same breakfast every day (according to Monday’s post that would make him a boring eater). It’s Greek yogurt and blueberries and he clarified “low-fat not nonfat you shouldn’t eat nonfat dairy.” He has ½ green drink before the show and saves the other ½ for later. Dr Oz was asked about the HPV vaccine for boys (he’s in favor of it) and cleanses. He views cleanses as “a change to reboot taste buds” which I thought was a great way to describe it. When the topic of feeding children was brought up, Dr Oz mentioned the importance of repeated tries (12) with new foods and remarked “I don’t mind what they eat at 5 but what they eat at 35.” Dr Oz took his time answering each and every question. He gave examples, quoted articles. While I find it hard to read the paper some days, Dr Oz seemed as though he fits it all in. He came to the conversation as a doctor and a father and a husband much more that a TV personality. He was generous with his time and knowledge and, needless to say,  I was so impressed.
What impresses you when you meet someone new? What do you think of Dr Oz's nutrition advice? Have you heard of Transformation Nation? If not, check it out and let me know what you think.

27 comments:

  1. This comment night be a long one....brace yourself!
    First off, HOW COOL that you got to meet Dr. Oz!! I'm so jealous, that must have been quite an experience. That being said, I don't blame you for asking such a question, I would have asked that same one. I' not a huge fan of WW, and I think the focus should be more on WHAT we eat, rather than how much. Also, Dr. Oz. is on my radar every single day. Whenever he talks about something, there are at least 5 women who show up asking for it, but the problem is that it's usually a product that no one has heard of! And, he talks about a new "miracle cure" for something everyday, and it's just annoying because it's almost always a completely random supplement....I want to look up to him and respect him, but many of his shows make me think that his diet consists of only supplements, and that's what he wants OUR diets to consist of!

    Our breakfast is the same. Now that's kind of cool! I add granola and cocoa powder to mine though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, I think some of the specificity comes with doing 5 medical shows a week, I think you can get to some lesser known things. As for WW it is a huge program with lot of reach. I'm not 100% against it as it doesn't have meal delivery etc. As for the BF Dr Oz adds Ezekiel cereal sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool!! i too am not too impressed with celebrities as people, but end up getting super nervous upon meeting them anyway (two weeks ago i told ming tsai that i "sort of" knew who he was - ha!). it seems like dr. oz has a good message but it will only get a bit tangled in all this weight watchers points stuff - i think in the end he'll reach a larger audience, which is more important, i'd like to think, than just how specific his way (quality vs. quantity) of encouraging healthy eating is.

    haven't heard of transformation nation. will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I "sort of" know who you are, love that. In many ways that's better than gushing in my book. Dr Oz explained, using a boxing analogy, that not enough to reach people have to sort of "knock them down" with message. I get it. And "America" isn't necessarily the same as NYC and Foodtrainers and how I view food. It's a start. More of the exact WW stuff later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so fun! I would have loved to meet Dr. Oz. I had not yet heard of "transformation nation" but now I shall google...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You are one lucky lady lauren! I hear yays and nays toward Dr. Oz but I think he really gets it and I'm not quick to say that about ANY doctor. I watch his show every now and then but I always come away learning something new and I LOVE that. It's good to hear that he's so down to earth and straight forward. Makes me like him even more! You forgot to mention when the show airs! I will make sure to watch! ps. can you email it to me or twitter it? I rarely come back to read responses (just being honest). Hope you have a great weeekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great experience! I don't watch Dr. Oz that often, but I do think that his shows are very informative most of the time. There have been times when it was too game-show-like for me. I get that he wants to appeal to a wide audience and make it interesting, but some of the stuff can be a bit much. I haven't watched the show in quite some time actually, but I know that I sometimes feel he spends not enough time on important topics and barely scratches the surface and then spends too much time on some sort of "super food" or supplement.

    The campaign sounds good though! I don't blame you for asking the Weight Watchers question. I have a friend who ate nothing but highly processed foods on WW and was only focused on points. I assume that he'll address what to choose to eat somehow in his campaign. All the other steps of the campaign you mentioned sound really good!

    Glad he was so likeable in person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andrea, I totally get it and the show is another topic completely. I was thinking the same thing until I met Dr Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool. I really like Dr. Oz... I think he "gets it" as well...
    so he sometimes promotes supplements, etc... well frankly I get sick of doctor's that only push pharmaceuticals to treat anything and everything... lack of sleep -- take ambien, pain -- take narcotics, constipated -- take mirilax, allergy problems -- take steriods or Antihistamines... and it goes on and on...

    So I appreciate Dr. Oz and his alternative view of medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've met famous people before, but I usually choose not to. The most recent was Bart Yasso, who was nice, but distracted. I figure they don't care if they never meet me.

    I looked up Transformation Nation but it's just an overview. I get the idea and think it's good. I do all those things & if I lost 10% of my body weight, my doctor would tie me down and pour a milkshake down my throat! But as you say, it isn't the same as NYC or Foodtrainers (throwing myself into the category) and I honestly try to keep that in my mind: I'm not everyone.

    Sorry this is so long. One last thing - just last week I had a conversation about WW with a new friend from my running club. She has lost hundreds of pounds and has learned a lot of healthy habits. She started with WW and gives them their credit due. But she quit as she began to learn about nutrition. I have also done WW and didn't lose a thing (before I lost that 20). But I understand that it's a starting point for a lot of people. We talked about how WW would be more successful for people if they had a component for nutrition after someone loses a certain percentage of pounds. But WW is not a charity, it is a profit-making business. They have no real reason to teach you how to wean off of WW and learn about whole, real food choices. It's up to the individual and that's where people get back into their food issues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Dr. Oz has good intentions but like Oprah he kind of bothers me with his "This is the solution right now and only this!" That kind of stuff drives me crazy.

    How cool you got to meet him though and kudos to you for asking awesome questions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh i love this! what a fabulous opportunity you had. great info about the bfast :) enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a fun thing. Ameena, I think for TV drama is added. I'm not sure I asked great questions but I couldn't help myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - he seems knowledgeable, not just a poster child (poster doc?)

    I don't get star-struck easily either, but it's really awesome you got that opportunity. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like Dr. Oz. I'm glad to hear that he seems genuine in person. How exciting that you're going to get to work with him! I can't wait to learn more. And...yes...I think that you asked a very good question. I guess sometimes teaming up with corporate giants becomes a cost-vs-benefits issue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cant wait to hear more!!!!! im going to go google transformation nation! i dont watch his show typically b/c I do my own research like the dietetics nerd that i am.. but if you're on it, i'm watching! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I met Louis Zamperini (the guy from unbroken) the other day. What most impressed me about him was his spirit and how human he was. Don't know if you read the book, but he is amazing. Asked him if he still dreamed of running (he is 94) and he said he still does in his dreams. Ran 6 miles for him today. I was scared silly treating him...man survives 45 days at sea, 2 years in a Japanese torture camp only to be killed by me. He did great...THANK GOD!

    As for Dr. Oz and WW, I actually think out of all the weight loss programs WW is one of the better ones. Also I feel that they are willing to change with the times and hopefully will move away from "you can eat juke" mentality. I feel like they are slowly getting with the program (points for activity, fiber etc), with Dr. Oz's help I have high hopes.

    Also HPV vaccine for everyone please!!!!!!!!!!! Love preventive medicine. Also I eat the same thing for breakfast as Dr. Oz, with the full fat yogurt I am now a lot more satisfied and find I am not hungry till lunch.

    Can't wait to see the episode, let me know when it airs and read Unbroken!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool!
    It's good to know that he doesn't really have some valid opinions.
    His breakfast sounds yummy..but I don't know how we can eat the same thing daily. I get bored with the same breakfast every week. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So neat that you got to meet Dr. Oz. I don't watch the show on a regular basis because if work but sometimes I'll check out the shows online (yep, one of my trusted Canadian sites has them online).

    I'm kind of confused by what he meant by “I don’t mind what they eat at 5 but what they eat at 35.” Does this mean he doesn't care if your child eats cookies all day as a kid as long as they eat carrots at their wedding? It seems to me like that is the age we need to start at to ensure they are eating healthy later on in life...?

    I agree that WW is a good choice for a partnership because they don't make you buy food. I was on Jenny Craig in prep for my wedding in 2008. I lost the weight but all I ate was processed food! I've come to my senses :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jenny, he meant at 5 you are giving them things to taste. Kids have more sensitive taste buds/more taste buds. So they may not eat things at 5 but you are laying the groundwork for healthy eating. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  21. How exciting that you're going to get to work with him! I can't wait to learn more. I think that you asked a very good question. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not impressed by celebrities either, but way more impressed by whether someone is genuine or not when I meet them, and it sounds as though Dr. Oz fits the bill here. Love what he said about caring more about what a 35 yo eats then a 5 yo. I completely agree with this. (Of course as parents we have to set the stage for what our kids will eat when they're 35). Funny what he said about the low fat vs.non-fat yogurt....my mom asked me about this the other day and said she heard Dr. Oz say shouldn't have non-fat dairy products. Ha! Of course I told her about your blog, and said there is some truth to that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great opportunity, Lauren! Thanks for sharing the little bits that you could. I'm not a huge celebrity follower, but so many people are. And if Dr. Oz captures their attention and causes them to the be healthier as a result, well that's great. Glad to know that he's on target!

    I followed the link to Dr. Oz's green drink. Do you think ALL of that produced is actually juiced? It says "blended', and I just can't imagine fitting all that in the blender...or my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I thought the same heather, he divides it some in AM some in afternoon but still...you could also juice the same ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an awesome opportunity. Can't wait to see you when this airs! Though I typically don't watch his show I am intrigued if you are on it!

    ReplyDelete