Friday, September 1, 2017

Before the long weekend, some non-food advice

I am not overly horoscopy. I do, however, identify with being a Virgo. If you’re less horoscopy than I am, Virgo is the sign that runs (do signs “run”) or spans August 23rd (yup my bday kicks it off) to September 22nd. Those in the know say I’m “on the cusp” of Leo and Virgo but since I’m a VIRGO, that doesn’t’ work for me, too wishy washy.
An email I received, from ABC Home of all places, gave this Virgo rundown:
Strengths: loyal, analytical, kind, hardworking
Weaknesses: worry, overly critical of self and others, all work and no play.
I don’t entirely agree with that last, harsh descriptor. However, even when I “play” it’s planned and organized, so there you go.

Now, the advice part. This week, I had a thought provoking, informative and overall amazing conversation with an integrative MD. I am sure I will, with her permission, write more about her at a later date. By most doctor’s standards, I’m in great health. But I do have migraines, some GI stuff and the “worry” mentioned above in the horoscope. I was telling the doctor that I’ve been dabbling in meditation, biking on my new Peloton, going to my IR sauna place, the list continued. The doctor looked at me and said, “maybe your self-care shouldn’t involve so much doing.”  OMG. It was, what Oprah would call, an aha moment. I physically felt it. It was completely true. It may not sound like a big deal but it resonated with me.

I know there are people who should do more. If you’re stagnating some more exercise or meditation or a sauna are good options. For me, and perhaps my Virgo cohort, I need to do less. I’ve been aware of this socially. I actually prefer having fewer social plans. But not being social doesn’t mean I’m relaxing, right?

Give yourself what you need this weekend. If you’re been a little bit of a hermit, get out and maybe try something new or see someone you haven’t. I will be, with my kids, at my mom’s house. My husband, who doesn’t sit and relax often either, will be golfing. I’ll skip my golf-related comment and let you know I’ll be reading, hanging out with my easy going mother and consciously doing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment