Monday, April 4, 2011

Foodtrainers Goody Bag


On Friday I wrote about our first night at Blackberry Farm. The weekend got better and better from there. Friday, I met the boot camp group after they completed a 2-hour bike ride.  As everyone enjoyed a picnic lunch of grilled fish, asparagus, beets, cranberry beans, kale bolts (the word I forgot Friday) and green tea in mason jars I gave a quick talk about my favorite spring foods for training and answered sports nutrition questions. We then hiked 8 miles on the Appalachian Trail back to Blackberry. I met up with my family and heard about their morning of fly fishing (all good until Myles fell in the stream).

The next day was a major step outside our comfort zones as the boys, Marc and I spent the morning horseback riding and the afternoon shooting “clays”.  Our final dinner was in the wine cellar of the barn at Blackberry and included a Strawberry Gazpacho, Swiss Chard stuffed with herbed quinoa and Bison. My closing talk to the group focused on self-compassion.

In the guest rooms we left Foodtrainers’ goody bags (is it goody or goodie, sources seem split) with some of our favorite products.  Want to know what was in the bag?
Eboost a great pre-workout beverage option or as it turns out great pre-hike too.

Barney Butter- the creamiest almond butter around. Their 90-calorie snack packs are now used on Jet Blue flights. Be careful though, airlines may confiscate jars of nut butter (who knew?).


Herbal Water-I’ve written about Herbal Water before. They make both flat and sparkling water in fantastic flavors. The Blackberry boot camp trainees received lemongrass, mint vanilla water.

Food Should Taste Good- I read a great article on Food Should Taste Good founder in Rachael Ray magazine on my flight down to Tennessee. I wish all mini bars stocked these.
Real Bar*- those in boot camp used these for before the final hike of the trip. I love the ingredients and vegan version of this fudgy bar. Most of all, I love the taste. *Beware habit forming
Glow Cookies- these are the best gluten free cookies around.  We included Snickerdoodles in the goody bags. They were all the talk at yoga class the following morning. 

Not bad for turndown snacks, huh?
I cannot thank Blackberry Farm enough for including me, next time I'm signing up for boot camp myself.
When’s the last time you stepped outside your comfort zone and tried a new activity? Have you ever done shooting clays (I quite liked it)? What is your favorite hotel snack or mini bar item?


14 comments:

  1. Yum! I love Food Should Taste Good and Glow Cookies -- I wish goodie bags could be virtually passed through the computer screen -- I'm feeling a bit like a snack now.

    THa last time I stepped out of my comfort zone was bowling. I have this thing where people watching me makes me nervous, and for some reason it made me nervous to go bowling with my friends, who I love and trust. Silly, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your experience at Blackberry sounds amazing. I can't wait to hear more about it. What a great goody bag too. Some of my favorites in there!
    I stepped out of my comfort zone yesterday running my first half marathon. I have enjoyed running for years, but 5 miles was considered a long run for me up until a few months ago. Going outside my comfort zone felt pretty darn good.
    You guys look great in the picture. Glad your whole family had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blackberry Farm looks like an incredible place! Your talks must have been a hit there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad everyone at Blackberry got to meet you, learn so much from you, and even got to try some of Foodtrainers favorite products!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this looks like an amazing weekend!
    Food should taste good chips are delicious!
    I have heard about CSA confiscating nut butters! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Lauren...great place. Glad we were able to send Real Bar. Xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. where do I get Real Bar? Your weekend sounds incredible..plus a great goody bag

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your picnic lunch sounds better than most of my home-cooked dinner meals. Yum! Love the goody bag. Right now as I write this I'm nibbling on some Barney Almond Butter (but the creamy kind) on crackers. Love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a big fan of Kind bars - they are mostly under 200 calories and usually contain a lot of nuts (varying kinds). They are a tasty snack and will really keep me full for quite a long time since there is a fair amount of protein and fiber in there. Great for taking with you to a meeting or while traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So jealous of your trip! I usually go to New Age Health Spa every summer for some hiking and yoga upstate. Missing it right about now :)
    Lately, I've been snacking on lots of apples, raw sugar snap peas, and brown rice cakes with peanut butter. And of course, I LOVE Glow Gluten Free cookies when I want something sweet & don't have time to bake

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauren, what a fun experience, enjoyed the pictures very much. Have a great one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun trip! My husband and I did skeet shooting (in Lanai, Hawaii) on our honeymoon. I guess that's like clay shooting, right? It was really a lot of fun. I love Food Should Taste Good Chips. Have you tried the Sweet Potato? Mmm....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like the south was good to you and that it was an amazing experience -- lots to learn from. I want to buy a goodie bag -- where can I order one? I am so in need of newness for yummy food products.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like my kind of goody bag! (spell-check on my computer says it's goody, not goodie...)

    ReplyDelete