Thursday, December 13, 2012

Do you prefer Sally Field or Elizabeth Olsen Foods?


I have mixed feelings about food fashions. Some trends can get out of hand. For example, there is kale which I suggested was getting Kardashian like. Though the trendiness annoys me, I still like kale. As for Kim and Kourtney…still don’t quite understand. Other foods are more Elizabeth Olsen-ish. They are intriging and appealing but you may or may not have heard of them. With any new foods there’s a vetting process we go through to find out if it’s not only new but worthy.

Irish Moss
Irish moss is a seaweed that’s high in protein, iodine and some B vitamins
It’s commonly used as a thickener; you soak it and then blend it. It works well in smoothies and many vegan desserts such as mousses and custards. Unfortunately some reports lead us to believe it’s potentially a health hazard and can increase the risk of certain cancers. This is a good reminder that just because something is natural doesn’t mean safe. I wouldn't "cast" this one.

Sea Buckthorn 
(see photo above)
I first started thinking about sea buckthorn a couple of winters ago. Sea buckthorn oil is used in many lotions and topical preparations and is one of my go-to weapons for dry, flaky “winter skin”. Sure enough, I wasn’t the only one comtemplating buckthorn and now I’m hearing about it more and more. Sea-buckhorn’s Latin name means “making horses shine” and this interesting omega-7 oil, rich in beta carotene and vitamin C, is helpful for many skin conditions. Sea buckthorn is a shrub with a brightly colored berry; it has a tart flavor. A company called Sibu makes a sea buckhorn juice product; my only hesitation is that due to the flavor it is paired with apple juice concentrate. Dr Weil’s restaurants True Food use sea buckthorn juice in a number of dishes including a sorbet. We’ve seen sea buckthorn jelly and teas. I look forward to more options and edible forms, my concern is that since the taste is sour and acidic many preparations like the Sibu will be sweeter. This is a food I’d put into the “one to watch” category.  For now, lotions such as Weleda’s Sea Buckthorn Lotion and buckhorn oil used topically are good options.


Yacon

Photo via Eattheweeds
Yacon is a root vegetable but not just any root vegetable. It has prebiotic properties meaning it helps intestinal flora as probiotics feed on prebiotics. Jerusalem artichokes are also prebiotics. Yacon is one of the highest vegetable sources of FOS (fructooligosaccharides), which help GI health (less bloating and less constipation), immunity and potentially mood. Yacon also boats a sweet taste but doesn’t raise blood sugar levels. I use yacon in smoothies using a powdered form from Navitas Naturals that has been increasingly hard to find.  There is also yacon syrup, which can be used in baking, and yacon slices which makes a nice snack.  Yacon, with interesting attributes, is definitely worth checking out. Yacon aced its audition.

So whether it’s foods or film, there’s nothing wrong with reliable standbys. Sally Field or Sally Field foods broccoli, cauliflower etc. aren’t going anywhere and are great options. However, whether for variety or for specific health benefits it’s fun to branch out, you just might not like what you find every time.
Do you like experimenting with new ingredients? Which ones are you enjoying lately? Would you say you like Sally Field or Elizabeth Olsen foods?


16 comments:

  1. I experimented with jicama (again) this weekend, and realized that, similar to Yacon (apparently) it has FOS in it, and I can't eat it :( I get the worst stomachaches with I consume FOS. It's not good at all. Such as shame. Maybe that means I have too much of that good bacteria in me?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I had never heard of Yacon or Irish Moss. You talk about things you put in your smoothies a lot and I have this image in my head of you with a zillion potions and powders, in a lab coat. Are there many other foods that are prebiotics besides those you mentioned that we might encounter daily? Do you need prebiotics for probiotics to work properly? I take a probiotic daily but never thought about what the bacteria would feed on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard of any of these items before and always enjoy trying new foods. It's like I tell my son all the time, it's always worth it to try something new - just think what if you had never tried ice cream? You'd never know how delicious it is. That might actually be good for me but I'm hoping that he gets the point I'm trying to make. Yacon sounds worth a try since I love jerusalem artichokes (kind of like a potato but more nutritious).



    Things like this are why farmers' markets are so great. There's always something there that I haven't seen before and the people manning the booth are always willing to tell me all about it and give me recipe ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. agreed and I feel there are those people who like newness whether it's a type of apple or purple cauliflower and others who stick with the familiar. And I can't imagine never trying ice cream that would be sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, maybe I need a lab coat. How fun. Truth is I have a smoothie shelf with jars of powders and extracts and have a lot of fun with it. Prebiotics are in many foods the most common foods are probably the whole onion family (garlic, onion, leeks etc).

    ReplyDelete
  6. True, I didn't think the FOS are not fodmap friendly. Interesting that what is helpful to some isn't for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old stand bys...tried and true. However, I'm never opposed to trying something new either and experimenting. Since I started blogging 3 years ago I've added such things as chia/hemp seeds,nut milks, coconut oil, flaxseed, beets, because of all the hype around the blogosphere ( I know I should have included them prior but I just didn't). I am now healthier (I believe) because of it. I have checked out seabuckthorn but due to the price of the products, I've never tried it. I am interested to find yacon though! Exciting :)

    ps this is my post about my $50/week food snob grocery shophttp://thehealthyapron.com/2012/12/12/can-you-be-a-food-snob-on-50week/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a firm believer in Seabuckthorn. I take two caps a day, per my miracle worker Jay. And my crappy skin is doing much better. Still prone to breakouts but at least things are on the upswing. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: If the yacon can do something for my mood then maybe I need to buy it in bulk...

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's not so much yacon but pre/probiotics in general and mood is an interesting connection. For mood foods I'd have to go to omega 3's and magnesium.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh, something we agree on foodwise. What brand, sibu? Who is Jay?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Read your post, loved it. Should link back to my Time mag snob post.xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kay is my holistic expert. He has done miracles for my eczema. He recommends Balanceuticals, which is the brand I use.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the oldies, but the goodies, but also love trying new things as long as theyre safe-sadly I have tried none of the above on your list. I would LOVE to see your smoothie shelf-sounds fun :-) P.S. I had to goggle Elizabeth Oleson...Thanks, as usuall, for keeping me up-to-date on "who's who" in the celebrity world!

    ReplyDelete
  15. don't think I'm that hip, helps to have 20-somethings in the office. "Who is a cool/up and coming actress?" I have a new years smoothie post and may need a lab coat after cameo's comment. Happy Holidays EA.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Check http://yacon.biz/online.html for Yacon Syrup which has standardized sc-FOS and translucent golden in color.

    ReplyDelete