Monday, July 7, 2014

5 Sane Ways to Feel Better Today

 I had one of those “what day is today?” moments when I woke up. It soon sunk in that it’s Monday and the weekend is over which makes me a little sad.  As long as I’m complaining, I’m also tired. We were in Montreal for the 4th (so patriotic I know) but it’s not always about going away, relaxing can leave you just wanting to relax more. And then there’s that feeling, you know it I'm sure, “uh oh I need to undo some of what was done this weekend.”
I only speak menu or "food" French 
Before you get all “I didn’t eat ________” on me this weekend. I ate well too. There was lots of seafood and green juice and salad. My Fitbit was happy with 15-20,000 steps a day (love this about vacation) but there were also lots of meals out and cocktails so here we are. Forget the cleanse or emergency boot camp- instead try these five ways to feel better today:

Stay home tonight (and tomorrow too). Before we get all technical with this debloating you simply need to spend less time with salt. Takeout and restaurant meals make this impossible. Cooking is key but "cook" can mean scrambling eggs or making a smoothie. If you're saying "I should be able to go out and feel good" you can just not today.

Pursue Probitoics Is your tummy telling you something? Something not so good?
Pop your probiotic supplement and also consider my favorite Sunbiotic nuts (who says atonement needs to be miserable?) or cayenne kombucha or good old ACV (apple cider vinegar), do you own it? OK go take a tsp. If you're in NYC we can send over probiotic goodness and Fairway has these healthade drinks. 

Speaking of Drinks, Drink – your magic number is 10 cups of water a day. I like a visual and finds it helps to fill a pitcher and put it on your desk (tweet me @Foodtrainers a water photo for extra credit) or be that person who carries a water bottle with you for today. If you’re thinking you need something more than just water try this.
Makes You-Pee Tea (from the Little Book of Thin)
Ingredients are for 1-cup increase if you’re making a pitcher
1 Tbs Minced parsley and stems
½ tsp fennel seeds
2-3 slivers fresh ginger or fresh turmeric
Cover these ingredients with hot water, steep 10 minutes. Chill to make an iced version.

Consider quinoa (or consider grainlessness).  Quinoa has potassium that helps you lose some of that sodium. So ½ cup of quinoa is “kosher for debloating” but bread (sprouted or not), rice, cereal (a whole other conversation), corn etc. are not for today.

Have a Green day – all meals and snacks need to have something green in them today. Green juices, dark green salads, crudité- you remember green, right?
How was your weekend? How are you feeling today? Which of these steps will you take? Check in with me tonight, it'll be better I promise it's amazing what 24 hours "back" can do.

8 comments:

  1. Montreal sounds fun-haven't been since I was a kid! Although I feel pretty good and energized today (my big thing lately has been trying to take time off from working on the weekends) after ending the weekend w/ an "all you can eat" Korean BBQ, and not as many steps as I would have liked, I'm eager to drink up and de-bloat with some of your tea! Hope you're having a great summer Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. korean bbq hangover? Try the tea EA and then send some of your zuc noodles with avocado pesto over, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that the Urban Moonshine Bitters you recommended recently are a great help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Interesting! Great round up.

    Can I ask about the "consider quinoa (or consider grainless)" point? Do you consider quinoa (sometimes called a seed, sometimes called a vegetable, sometimes called a grain) a grain???

    I am confused as to whether it is helpful or unhelpful in the diet.. Needed a straight up answer, you are the only one I will turn to

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following this exchange with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So honored Lauren. OK so yes, it's a seed. We "count" it as grain at Foodtrainers and in LBT bc you eat it like one. I'm not entirely pro-grain but quinoa would top the list. Because it has potassium, will not get in way of debating etc. So it should have special status, if you like it incorporate it. It's not a must- eat like let's say greens etc. Helpful or did I hedge?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I traveled with them too Johanne, many clients loving after lunch and when distended.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helpful, as always, I am just a little fed up with how much meat is in my diet at the minute. I am not a huge fan of chicken, but eat it for its LBT properties. Looking to change it up and include some vegetarian meals into my repertoire but trying to be mindful of keeping my skinny jeans on. Quinoa quite often seems too good to be true..

    ReplyDelete