Monday, July 10, 2017

Is it time for a tequila, rosé or chip intervention?

Clearly not my stash, no Summer Water or Miraval, also enjoy the cans (portion control)!
On Sunday nights, I remind our Foodstalking clients they signed up for the week ahead. If you have no idea what I’m referring to, Foodstalking is our e-nutrition program. For a week, we send a tip to participants in the morning and they send a complete food log to us at night. It’s a great way to tighten things up with added accountability. Typically, clients say “yup” or “got it” when I send the reminder. Last night it was, “I really need this” or “I’m looking forward to structure” across the board.

Whether your “thing” is chips or dessert or wine or portions, summer eating is tricky. Summer can be more social and there are many seasonal temptations. Here are a few tips if you’re looking to tighten things (or yourself) up:
 Pop a probiotic: sugar, carbs and wine wreak havoc on your intestinal flora. Why does that matter? Well that flora is sort of like a control tower for your body. One of the things it controls is cravings. 
I like this one.
Build momentum on Monday. If summer weekends are indulgent, make Monday matter. Skip booze and carbs to start the week.
Sprinkle cinnamon. Sugar cravings are caused, in part, by yeasts in your body (candida) that feed on sugar.  When no sugar is present they signal brain for more. Cinnamon wipes away these evil yeasts. Cinnamon also keeps you fuller longer. Put 1/4 to 1/2  teaspoon cinnamon in your morning coffee or smoothie.  This is the best type of cinnamon.
Lavish fats- as you’re working on decreasing carbs, sugar or wine consciously increase good fats in your diet. Coconut oil (despite recent brouhaha), avocado, chia seeds, olive oil and walnuts are some Foodtrainers’ favorites.
Give fruit a friend- summer fruits are tricky too. I’m pro fruit but, for now, try not to eat fruit on its own. Fruit and nuts, fruit and cheese, fruit as part of breakfast fine (once a day).

I know summer is about kicking back and relaxing and that’s all good. I just want you to feel your best and be without rose’ regrets come September. Fair?

Tell me how your summer eating has been, what’s your biggest challenge? Any questions or topics you’d like me to cover?

No comments:

Post a Comment