Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Potty Talk Part Three: Constipation Nation


We talk about our children and our spouses, about work and our weight. We can talk about PMS, pimples and wrinkles but we draw the line. We don’t really talk about our tummy troubles. And we have them, I don’t know what it is but I feel as though constipation is running rampant. I have a theory that constipation is worse in winter. I’m not a researcher but many more clients complain about constipation in colder months.  Could it be a lack of sun and therefore vitamin D? In animal studies rats without vitamin D do develop constipation.

Let’s start with the basics, in order to “go” you need motion and the lotion. By "motion" I mean activity. Aerobic exercise helps muscles in the intestines contract.  If you are not a regular exerciser, make sure you are walking 10-15 minutes at least a couple times a day. Certain yoga poses such as bow pose and plough can also help. Lotion refers to two things necessary to move stool through you fluid and fat.  Dehydration leads to hard stools so be sure to drink 48 to 64 ounces of water a day. Fat phobia can also cause dehydration. Avocado, coconut oil and other good fats do the body (and the bowels) good.

There are also some trusted tummy tools:
  • Chia seeds contain insoluble fiber and fat both helpful when constipated.
  • Magnesium is connected to bowel function. I have mentioned a product before called Natural Calm that can be prepared like a tea in the evening.  Pumpkin seeds and cocoa also have a good amount of magnesium and fiber.

  • Probiotics- your gut flora has a big impact on your bowel movements.  A probiotic supplement containing the culture bifidus helps promote regularity. Also, in case you need another reason to skip the Splenda it kills gut bacteria.
  • Jerusalem Artichokes naturally contain a prebiotic called inulin. Prebiotics help the proliferation of probiotics, you can think of them as fuel for the probiotics. Jerusalem artichokes are a vegetable (you can make latkes out of them for Hanukkah) and there are also pastas made from Jerusalem artichokes.
  • There are 3 A's: acupuncture can be very helpful if you have chronic constipation as can aromatherapy, black pepper oil inhaled or rubbed on your belly has been suggested for constipation. And Aloe vera juice can be a strong “tool”. It can be added to juices or smoothies and as with any of these suggestions, start slowly. When it comes to “going” to much of a good thing isn’t fun either.
Some foods should be avoided if you are dealing with constipation and those are the mainly the whites or foods with white flour or white sugar and too much animal protein. Try keeping meat and poultry to once a day if you are binded. Cow's milk has been connected with constipation particularly in children. Goat's milk is worth a try if you're curious. Also on the skip list are laxatives containing senna as an ingredient as these build dependence. If constipation persists it can indicate a problem with thyroid function and should be taken seriously. As you can see, this is a big topic and there is a lot more I could say but I’ve got to “go” now.
OK let's hear it, are you constipated? If so is it worse in winter? What are your tummy tools? Do you talk to friends or family members about your bowels? 


28 comments:

  1. Hi, new to your blog. When I was in massage therapy school we talked a lot about how digestive issues tie to our overall health. It's funny that I openly hear people talk about their sexuality, family issues, etc but that these issues are taboo. Glad you brought it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Karen. So true, we can even say we have to pee but poo- it's in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh...you MUST be a dietitian if you love potty talk. I know I do. Except in my house the problem is the opposite of constipation...my husband has IBS, but don't tell him that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love potty talk! BMs are one of my favorite topics! Mine is pretty regular - every morning like clockwork. I do a lot of the things you mention (thanks for reminding me about the Natural Calm in my cupboard!). Even so, I get messed up very easily. Between Hashimotos and being super sensitive to most foods, all I have to do is eat one bad meal & I'm messed up for days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comes up all the time when people start throwing nutrition questions at me. Hearing other people's issues makes me feel lucky I've really never had any trouble there (except when traveling)—to be fair, though, a lot of the things you mention above (exercise, probiotics, adequate fluid, chia seeds, etc), are part of my usual routine.

    I do feel like I hear more about constipation in winter—I've actually wondered why too. My half-baked theory has to do with the fact that people are probably moving less and staying indoors, drinking less water, and probably eating a lot fewer raw fruits and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo love this convo- I got much more comfortable talking with friends about tummy troubles thanks to SAS (specifically India.. enough said) but I definitely still have girl friends that don't like to admit that they 'go'. Maybe a 4th A - Ayurveda - I thought i had a chronic no-go problem until I met with an ayurvedic dr and learned about diff mind-body constitutions (mine is alarmingly vata), and what foods tend to work better or worse. Acu absolutely rocks for any tummy trouble, I knew aromatherapy helped with soothing nausea but not constipation - where do you get black pepper oil, whole foods?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family and I overshare our BMs. We will always talk about it. Don't know if that's strange or not. haha.
    Thankfully, I don't get constipated often. I have had moments though, and it's just the worst feeling.
    Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your poo posts. Informative, funny, and helps break the shyness about BM. And you're right, if we can watch those awful commercials about ED, then we can have an adult conversation about this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fiber, motion, and lotion is where it's at!! The 3 keep me regular! I don't understand why it's weird to talk about this stuff... this topic was part of everyday conversation when I worked in a hospital and dialysis unit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oddly enough, we talk about it at work. Among the women, anyway! I have all sorts of issues with irregularity, but find the exercise helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caron- try some of the other tips (aloe, probiotics) and let me know, share the potty tips with your coworkers :)
    Lisa- keep up the motion and the lotion. I find fiber for those not used to lots of fiber can be irritating depending on type.
    Marie- I'll talk bowels over Cyalis any time.
    Kristen- your family sounds great. Families that poop together...I don't know but sharing is good.
    Carolyn- interesting about Aryuveda there's a supplement called triphala that's good for these purposes too.
    Jess- agreed about winter factors, we should do a study.
    And Danielle- I thought RD's were supposed to recommend diet soda, kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was so informative as always. unfortunately, I'm the opposite; never get constipated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The most obvious remedy to avoid constipation is to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables...one should be doing this before trying any "remedy".

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find water definitely helps me, as well as eating flax - Tosca Reno (of Eat Clean Diet fame) refers to it as nature's scrub brush :)

    I know when my son was constipated for the first time I read about the BRAT acronym (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) and that those foods should be removed to help get things moving again. I can only assume the same can be applied to adults.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ah, my favorite topic! kidding. but yeah, no one wants to talk about this stuff but it's definitely something i struggle with. i find stress sets me off... or should i say stops things in their tracks? ;) i'm fine on weekends, and weekdays i struggle. i might try to up my artichoke intake... great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stress can have either effect Sophia, a big problem for stopping things is rushing so be sure to take the time to let things happen.
    Jenny- natures scrub brush very funny. Jenny the BRAT items don't always work in reverse, what I mean is apples are usually ok even if binded.
    KD agreed, maybe I shouldn't take fruits and veggies for granted and they should've been on my basics list. I try to go a little more obscure/sometimes I think people are more interested.
    Shari- must be all Judy's recipes you're making.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It has a lot to do with comfort as well. A lot of us are on the go constantly, and I can't speak for everyone but I prefer being at home to poop. Also, I still hand wash dishes and I can tell standing with my hands under warm running water for a while makes me go every single time. It's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A good post, Lauren. I have a friend that I will be passing this post to. :) Always denying that it's a problem when she doesn't poop three days in a row. Thank you for tackling this subject. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think someone should just follow me for an entire day if they want to learn how to not be constipated. I have never been constipated my entire life (other than possibly as a child)! I can't even tell you I know how it feels.
    I didn't know that about vitamin D and constipation. I tend to think our nation's constipation problem comes from our lack of winter movement, and our increase in sweets. But hey, the vitamin D thing makes sense too (now that I know!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gina- that's awesome, I'll follow you anytime. I see an sharp increase in constipation even among active clients. So interesting (not for them though). Ayala- pass this along for your friend who has trouble passing (couldn't resist).
    Sami- that dish trick cracks me up, must try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah...I just returned from my first ski trip of the season to your potty talk post! Love your motion and lotion phrase Lauren! I am very regular myself, however, incidentally the only times I usually have problems are at higher altitudes, hence on ski trips! I think it must be the dehydration that occurs at higher altitudes, however, curiously, I had no problems this trip. Love all your suggestions for alleviating constipation and was also interested to learn about the Low Vitamin D/constipation connection.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lauren, very informative, thanks. I personally don't have potty issues. Coffee makes me go. Anyone the same? I get asked about constipation lot. Will refer to your post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. All I can say is that probiotics are my friend! I take one every day.

    I am intrigued by this coffee connection...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Probiotics "help". You didn't know the coffee connection Ameena, that's because you spend your time thinking about cookies (great post). Thank you Nour, did you hear what the ADA said about potty issues, they said Mars bars help (sorry couldn't resist). EA I am off to pubmed to determine the altitude connection.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is my new motto: "You need the motion and the lotion". Love it! I'm going to talk about my innards now, and say that I do NOT suffer from constipation. Thank goodness. It sounds very unpleasant! I eat a lot of fibre, fruits/veggies and also take Vitamin D and probiotics nightly.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Be careful Stephanie, out of context that motto could sound like you meant something different. Make sure people know you're talking "innards". Love the word innards btw.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So true about constipation and wintertime! I think drinking less water is definitely a factor.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bahahahaha! Oh my. I never even THOUGHT of it that way. OK, you're right. I should probably keep shopping for a new motto.

    ReplyDelete