Thursday, February 21, 2013

Fox News calls Adele fat, her response more newsworthy


Surprisingly, the dress is not Chanel
About a year ago, Karl Lagerfeld was blasted for calling Adele fat. In a conversation about pop stars he said “the thing at the moment is Adele. She is a little too fat, but she has a beautiful face.” The outcry after this comment should’ve served as a warning but Fox news didn’t seem to care (or they were hoping for a controversy of their own). The day after this year’s Grammy Awards they ran a five-minute “news” segment with a nutritionist about Adele and Kelly Clarkson’s weight.

I understand a discussion about celebrities or other public figures and weight. I recently wrote about Governor Chris Christy and whether weight should affect his potential presidential run. And I have posted about Kelly Clarkson as her songs and quotes have given the virtual middle finger to critics and their comments. What I don’t have any patience for are unfounded assumptions about people based on their weight.

The Fox segment’s nutritionist Keren Gilbert mentioned “if these women walked into my office and said they wanted to lose weight I wouldn’t kick them out.” First, the difference, as we discussed last week, is that these women as far as I know have not walked into Ms Gilbert’s Great Neck office. And if Adele did seek out a nutritionist, she may wish to discuss postnatal nutrition (helloooo). Ms. Gilbert then pointed her skinny finger saying “we’re a nation of excuses” their weight sends message “I don’t need to address these issues; I could be overweight like her.” I could dissect these comments all day long but Adele’s commentary is much more profound and definitely classier than anything I could say.

I recalled an interview Anderson Cooper did for 60 Minutes with Adele last year. I was so impressed with her as she offered the most sincere responses to tough, personal questions. She said she never looked at magazines and thought “I have to look like her to be a success”.  She also mentioned, as advice for young girls “if you want to change something about yourself, learn to appreciate yourself first.” She wasn’t standing on a soapbox for loving yourself no matter what. Rather, she said it’s ok if you want to make changes but the key, something Adele seems to have in spades, is caring for yourself.
How do we imbue young girls with that? Or adult women for that matter? How do you become immune to all the "body" stuff surrounding you?

And there’s more, Adele also takes on the issue of sexiness. She has said even if she had a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit figure, she would still wear "elegant clothing". In another magazine she was quoted saying, “'I don't want to be some skinny mini with my t*** out. I really don't want to do it and I don't want people confusing what it is that I'm about. “ In a time where JLo’s dress is slit up to her cha cha (sexy or slutty?) and Kate Upton is pretty much topless (in Antarctica!) on the cover of SI, isn’t modesty the most refreshing message of all?
And because I couldn’t resist, the expert in the Fox segment has this photo on her website? I wonder what she’s offering in that nutrition office she mentioned.
Does this photo say "let's talk about fiber?" Um no.
Do you think being in the public eye automatically makes you a role model? Do you think, as Fox suggested, overweight celebrities give others excuses to remain overweight? Would you feel differently if it were a rail thin pop star? Would to go to a health professional where "sexy" is part of their appeal? What is your favorite Adele song?
I love this song so much, Adele the pop world needs more "Someones Like You". 







5 comments:

  1. Also, I just looked at this "nutritionist's" website, and not to pick fun, but the design of her website looks like one of those scam websites one would purchase herbal diet pills from...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what they say about bully behavior, bully back. Don't you know Whitney, it's ok to sell diet pills as long as you're thin, thin, thin. Hope I don't have to say I'm kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but you are healthy? tumor free? In a good enough place to poke fun at nonsense nutritionists? So glad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoughtful post and so many insightful comments, below. Agree with the points below that it isn't black and white. Heavier = unhealthy and skinny = healthy is NOT an accurate illustration of the human body. There are so many factors, and that's a message that women like Adele are doing a good job of sharing (i.e., appreciating yourself is important to health, first and foremost). Being a role model isn't only about your clothing size. I think that Adele is a wonderful role model, going for what she believes in and exuding talent and confidence with grace and modesty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started reading your blog and wow, I'm hooked! It's so great!

    It is true that a person can be healthy/fit even though they look "overweight".

    Another thing that bothers me is you don't see the media picking on any males in this issue....

    ReplyDelete