Thursday, July 18, 2013

Corn Doody


I swear, I didn’t invent the term Corn Doody but according to the highly reputable Urban Dictionary it’s “what you find in the bowl the morning after eating corn”. And to be clear, we’re not talking a bowl bowl. It’s corn season, clients ask the darndest things and lately I’m fielding numerous corn doody queries. I always chalked this occurrence up to insufficient chewing but is there more to it with corn? After all, not all foods come out whole.

The outer hull of corn is made of cellulose that is indigestible to humans; we do not have the necessary enzymes to break it down. Even when you chew a kernel (we can’t all be inhaling our corn) it’s mainly the inner portion that’s digested. The cellulosey outer layer remains, one website likened it to an empty sleeve.

I know what you’re thinking, I do. How come what’s in the “bowl” doesn’t look like an empty, flattened sleeve but a full or whole sleeve? It’s because WARNING GROSSNESS as corn makes its way from top to bottom, it is refilled (nasty I know). So there you have it.

And though corn doody may be a seasonal concern, don’t be alarmed by quinoa, beans or flax doody either. While odd this isn’t usually a problem unless accompanied by other GI symptoms that I’ll refrain from discussing today, enough is enough.
Have you, you can admit it, experienced corn doody? Have you wondered why? Are their other foods that seem to "pass through" whole? Are you wondering if I've lost it?


17 comments:

  1. LOL!!! I'm so glad you posted this because I'm ALWAYS wondered!!!! Seriously, it REFILLS?!?! Nasty, yet fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is really gross. Good to know, I guess? How did you even research this? I wonder who I would even ask if I had such an inclination. A GI doc maybe? Thanks for the morning laugh though!


    FYI, it doesn't have to be a seasonal problem since the frozen variety is also tasty when fresh is not available. Makes a good winter soup! (refilling notwithstanding.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid to know what it says that I find this cool instead of gross, but hey...Thanks for demystifying that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post - I have long wondered (and worried) but never asked. :)



    Refilling...ugh. Gross. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cringed a bit reading this post. I'd always assumed some kernels just weren't digested. You learn something new everyday lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good cringe or bad? Glad you learned something will return to regularly scheduled "clean" programming monday Amanda. promise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, we all worry when really it's just a refilled sleeve, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it means you're a nutrition nerd. BTW email me about something...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmn Jen, wondering if same issue with texture of frozen corn though...don't worry I will not text this out and report back. After searching and asking let's just say this is a well covered topic. I'm not alone in my grossness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. refills, seems the RDs on here are intrigued while others repulsed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leave it to you Lauren to always teach me something new! I hadn't really thought about it too much before, but I have definitely experienced corn doody :-) Not exactly the same thing, but the red doody from eating beets always freaks me out just a little!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bad cringe. But I still find this stuff interesting so no harm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie Abrams RosenblumJuly 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM

    Beet doody is grosser. So is blueberry doody.
    I love this post because I look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. um blueberry doody? news to me. We all look Jul, only some of us admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. should we eat beets and corn and see what happens?

    ReplyDelete
  16. ok as long as bad temporary, now you will not cringe when you have C.D.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahahhahaha! I was in a total rush and literally stopped to read this based on the title. You are awesome! I try to avoid corn because of the GM seeds. Is there ANY organic fresh corn to be had? I would love to grill some before the end of summer!

    ReplyDelete