Monday, July 29, 2013

Please Come to My Wedding but Cleanse First

I’d like to begin by admitting that I’ve sunk to a new low. While I’ve been known to read and sometimes post about stories from US Weekly and People, I’ve never been an In Touch reader. I have standards after all…that is I did until today. I was pedicuring and had already read the aforementioned titles. So I grabbed In Touch despite not knowing which Kardashian was on the cover and Vogue (only read the food articles). So judge away, I deserve it but I found a fun story. You’re going to have to tell me what you think.

It turns out there’s a “Hollywood health guru” named Rainbeau Mars. I generally think guru = no real title or degree to mention but Rainbeau looks nice and new agey enough, I read on. Rainbeau, 37, and her “business manager” Michael Karlin (they never list the men’s ages but let’s say over 47 ok let’s just say sugar daddy or sugar “beau”) got married in July. Instead of inviting guests to choose steak or fish, Rainbeau and Mike invited all 170 guests to join them in a three-week cleanse leading up to their wedding.


Since I know you care: week one was no meat or sugar, week two raw foods and week three liquids only. Some people seemed to think “Mars” was off base but she disagrees, it was about “rejuvenation”. Part of me is embarrassed for her, I envision my parent’s accountant being asked to cleanse and as In Touch eloquently put it some guests said “no f---ing way.” For the record, Ira the accountant would never say that (but would think it).  Plus, cleansing isn’t always good for the mood- I’m picturing a whole lot of cranky people not feeling much like celebrating. And then the less cynical part of me, that’s small but exists, thinks maybe this isn’t so bad, she didn’t demand guests juice she suggested it. While she does sell this cleanse on her website she offered it to guest gratis.

I was shocked to learn 73 of the 170 guests RSVP’d “yes I’ll cleanse”. Once cleansed the guests were offered “spiritually enriching activities” such as yoga and breath work when they arrived in Hawaii for the wedding. The wedding itself had a menu of organic lamb chops, local seafood and a vegan, gluten free chocolate cake. How many chops and pieces of cake do you think the 73, who had lived on liquids, consumed?











So here’s the question, is this absolutely insane or gracious? Where does one draw the healthy line? I love a cleanse as much as the next juice-loving person but I don’t know how I’d react to receive an invitation to “go raw” with a wedding invite. However, in counseling clients, I hear reports of how grateful they are when a festivity includes healthy choices. So while I don’t like to force habits on others (unless they come to my office) maybe Rainbeau is onto something.
What do you think of this? Inclusive or bridezilla? Would you accept if this was offered to you? Would you think it was weird? And is my name boring? Maybe Lau-wren Slate? 

15 comments:

  1. As the person who hosted a birthday spin at Soul Cycle in lieu of a boozy party, I feel I am not one to judge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And see, to me, that sounds totally different than this but maybe because I am used to that. I did hear Chelsea Handler discussing a "spin" party on her show and she said "That's not a party, if you want to exercise do that first" but maybe she doesn't like spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that it's an introduction to healthy for everyone involved in the celebration...but I think this is going too far-specifically the all liquid phase. My concern is people may do it in a dangerous way-especially with the elderly. I also think it's almost food shaming those who decide not to do the cleanse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree Carlene, maybe too long/drastic an introduction. Perhaps the vegan, gluten free chocolate cake would be enough? Oh boy visions of grandma cleansing just popped into my head. No cake for those who didn't cleanse, kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is certifiably insane. But I will say that if you are friends with a "guru" that goes by the name Rainbeau then what do you expect. I'm not surprised a lot of the guests went along with it. I'm all for encouraging healthy eating by providing a healthy, nutrient-rich menu at a wedding reception - something like a nice salad, organic free-range chicken, and a fruit-based dessert or something like that, but asking people to do a cleanse before the wedding? These people live in crazytown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would RSVP yes but I don't think most people are as open to a cleanse as I am. I think this concept is more LA than anything.


    I won't judge your inTouch reading if you let me know a good pedicure place on the UWS that doesn't charge $50 ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you but these people are in LA, does that explain things?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you Ameena, I might jump on board too but that doesn't mean I would suggest it if I were hosting. Funny, I just mentioned the LA-ness of this (below). Talk tomorrow, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really depends on your lifestyle, or perceived lifestyle of what you believe is right for you. Many yoga practitioners and those on a deeply "spiritual" path, would most probably jump on board as being part of a ritual, a ceremony of some sort. Let's just say, everything exist and there is no really right or wrong. Just what FEELS right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you could be one of Rainbeaus pals. And you're right Denise, it depends on her circle. It may not be right or wrong but I think, in a different location/different group it would be perceived differently. Thanks for the perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's insane and obnoxious :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh good lord. This is just so pathetic. It was a publicity stunt, that she threw at her guests! Clearly she wanted to make money by a) getting some friends involved in what she sells, and b) making such a crazy decision and knowing she'd get in a magazine because of it (and therefore, promoting her product). Pathetic. Can you imagine all the sick people who cleansed then binged at her wedding?! Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know if this smells of publicity for me but she's certainly getting some. I chalked it up to "out to lunch" or "out of lunch" maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my strong words from the poet but love the honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bridezilla for sure, although I do like the dinner menu. Not something I would accept if offered to me, but then again, I'm pretty sure my friends would never ask :-) I do like the idea of MOD310's Soul Cycle party!

    ReplyDelete