Friday, May 27, 2011

Better Bread: Why Sprouted Matters

Lisa has a bit more time on her hands with a class-free summer (I should say school-free, she’s pretty classy). She can now contemplate important topics like the perfect (healthy) summer cocktail and today’s query “to sprout or not to sprout”. Thanks for this Lisa.
You don’t have to be a nutritionist to conclude that spouted grains sound healthier than bleached, processed or refined grains. Not only do sprouted grains sound healthier, they really are.
A little background
To make white bread part of the wheat kernel (the nutritious part) is removed and the remaining portion milled into flour. Whole-wheat bread is slightly better, the germ (actually loaded with vitamins despite its name) and the bran are used when making the flour. For sprouted grain bread the kernels are sprouted and then this is used for the breads.
Nutritional benefits
Sprouted grains are higher in nutrients than their unsprouted counterparts. Sprouted wheat contains four times the amount of niacin and nearly twice the amount of vitamin B6 and folate. The process of sprouting also leads to a product that is easier to digest. Sprouting is not new, I learned from the Bobs  Red Mill site it dates back to the 2nd century BC and the Essenes (a Jewish monastic group).
Since sprouted grains products are such a departure from their refined and processed counterparts, they are often referred to as “live food”. Certain varieties have been deemed acceptable by many raw foodists. In my opinion, one of the key benefits of sprouted grain products is that they are higher in protein than other breads. The reason their protein content is higher is because some carbohydrates (from the wheat kernel) are lost in the process of sprouting.
Buying sprouted grain bread
If you haven’t noticed spouted grain products in your grocery store, it’s because you likely haven’t looked for bread or English muffins in the freezer section. Since sprouted grain products are “alive” they are best kept in the freezer or the refrigerator, which is why you won’t find them in the doughy bread aisle alongside those ick white hot dog buns.
Sprout yourself
I’ll be honest I don’t see myself taking up sprouting any time soon but if you’re dying to sprout your own grains, click here for simple instructions. Report back to let us know how it goes, and how you enjoyed your living food!  
Do you eat any sprouted food? Are you familiar with Ezekiel, Shiloh Farms or French Meadow? Does sprouting intrigue you or scare you?

25 comments:

  1. I only buy sprouted bread. I love Ezekiel bread, Food For Life English muffins and French Meadow hemp seed bagels. I also like that they don't contain a ton of preservatives like most store-bought bread does. Trader Joe's carries Ezekiel bread and they do not keep it in the freezer or refrigerator, but rather by all of other the bread. I always thought this was strange and I wonder if that will "kill" some of the benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried Ezekiel's sprouted bread last week. It was pretty good, if a little dry (though I took it from freezer to cupboard, and maybe keeping it in the fridge would have kept it more moist).

    Thanks for listing some of the other brands/options. I'll see if I can try those out, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ezekiel bread. But, I always make homemade bread now, unsprouted. Cheaper and tastier. I love sprouted beans, they're super easy to do at home. Although Dr. Weil is NOT a fan of raw sprouts, due to the fact that the juvenile plantlets produce toxins while they're sprouting as a defense because they don't want to be eaten ;) I don't know how much I agree with that. I know oodles of people who eat sprouts almost daily and are totally fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make almost all of my bread, but keep a loaf of the Ezekiel in my freezer for last minute bread needs as well as trail running sandwiches - trust me, it is the easier to digest bread out there. amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big bread eater, but all my son's sandwiches are made on Ezekiel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad those of you commenting are already on the "sprouted" train. I just wish more people were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only recently discivered the benefits of sprouted grains! I love how much more nutrition they can add over other breads. I just wish they weren't so pricey...the biggest downside!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think part of the reason why the sprouted train isn't as long as it could be is because the products are sort of hidden in most grocery store freezers, and aren't heavily advertised. A lot of people have made the great switch from white bread to whole wheat and whole grain breads, and choosing sprouted is the next step. Make your guests sprout grain toast this weekend, and help us spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huh! I never knew about spouted grains. I'll be on the look-out. I made the switch to whole grains a long time ago and would like to try something new. Thanks, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a big fan of sprouted grains and especially LOVE frozen items, so you can imagine my love for Ezekiel 4:9 Bread. As a single girl in NYC, I would never go through a loaf a bread in a week, so I appreciate items that actually do better in the freezer. Ezekiel has a great product -- definitely a favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sprouted breads, but haven't been buying them lately. Thanks for the reminder, Lisa! Its good to know WHY sprouted is truly better than unsprouted!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been using Trader Joe's sprouted breads for a couple years and my treat is Ezekiel English Muffins topped with cream cheese. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! Despite my recent obsession with healthy, whole foods, I've totally been in the dark regarding sprouted bread. I don't buy many bread products because I tend to feel that there are so many other delicious foods that are generally more nutrient-rich, but it sounds like sprouted bread packs a healthful punch! I'll have to head to the freezer section next time I'm at the grocery store and check it out. Thanks, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have bought sprouted bread a couple times. Definitely a bit different, but I liked it. The only reason I don't buy it more often is the grocery store I shop it doesn't carry it. Maybe I need to look harder. I do buy it whenever I shop at TJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will try it, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have heard of Ezekiel. Sprouted does sound healthier but truth be told, I've shied away from buying a whole loaf since I was never sure how it would taste. Guess I should take the plunge and give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisa! Great article- very informative, but your personality still shines through (especially in the last paragraph "I'll be honest..." haha so YOU!). My mom swears by Ezekiel and it used to scare me but now that I have a second (legit) opinion I might actually try it! I'm anxiously awaiting your article on healthy summer cocktails- I have a feeling the bulk of my nutrition will be derived from cocktails from now 'til August! Get crackin!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read a lot about sprouted breads, but since I don't eat bread often, I just stick to my whole wheat when I do. I think I'm getting plenty of protein and B-vitamins, so the extra in sprouted bread doesn't really impress me. Do I recommend these breads to clients? Certainly! They are quite tasty, I'll admit that one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Ezekiel-- current obsession is their sprouted cinnamon raisin -- and so happy to know of some other brands. PS for budget conscious shoppers, at trader joes (20th&6th at least) the whole ezekiel line is only $3.99 :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I make my own sprouted grain bread actually. It's fantastic, I love it!

    http://kholistic.com/2010/sprouted-quinoa-bread/#

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like Ezekiel bread for toast - delish. But for sandwiches it is a little dry to me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've tried most of the sprouted breads that are available, and the best By FAR is Silver Hills Bakery. Their breads are free of flour, they use only sprouted grains, and the bread is a family favorite of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Total iggy about sprouted and sprouted breads. I am sixty two years old and quite healthy but overweight ( stocky ). I have begun replacing processed foods with healthy alternatives and one is ( sprouted breads. I chose sprouted breads because of the lower, SUGAR....aaaaaaaaagh content. Am I missing something here?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been using Ezekiel products for a while now and love them. I feel better after eating them rather than eating other breads. Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  25. anyone know of the L-Argenine or lysine levels in sprouted wheat breads?

    ReplyDelete